Alpha Xi Delta’s Partnership with Autism Speaks™
Alpha Xi Delta proudly supports Autism Speaks. The world's largest autism advocacy organization, Autism Speaks is dedicated to increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders, to funding research into the causes, prevention and treatments for autism, and to advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.
Alpha Xi Delta college chapters and alumnae associations across the country are committed to raising autism awareness in their communities and fundraising in support of Autism Speaks. In particular, our chapters and associations work to support Autism Speaks’ signature fundraising and awareness event, Walk Now for Autism. With one in 68 children diagnosed with autism and no known cure, Alpha Xi Deltas are committed to improving the lives of children and families affected by autism.
Click here to learn more about Autism Speaks
What is autism?
Autism is a complex brain disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by behavioral challenges. Autism spectrum disorders are diagnosed in one in 68 children in the United States, affecting four times as many boys as girls. The prevalence of autism has increased tenfold in the last decade. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called autism a national public health crisis whose cause and cure remain unknown.
Did you know?
- Autism spectrum disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, autism affects 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys.
- Autism is estimated to affect more than 3 million individuals in the U.S. and tens of millions worldwide.
- Despite these statistics, autism research remains severely underfunded.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average.